Monday, December 1, 2008

New Furniture and Weather Patterns

Time is really flying by. Somehow, this week is my last week of instruction. Whaaaaat? I just got here!

We did some shopping this weekend in hopes of catching post-thanksgiving deals. The main event was our visit to IKEA. Oh man, that place is amazing. I had never been there before and I walked around touching everything and dreaming of the possibilities... And we bought a new bed! We have a glorious mattress already, but it was just laying smack on the floor. We were going for that minimalist look...
Anyway we bought the frame and the matching nightstands, hauled it out to the car, and THEN thought about how we were going to get it home in Mark's car. 30 ft of twine later, we got it all in and headed home.
The rest of the day was spent assembling the damn thing. Tedious, frustrating, but so worth it. I think this is the first time I've ever had a real bed frame. I love it. And just in case you are in the market for one, I can attest that it doesn't squeak.
So the bedroom is almost complete. We'd like to add some desk lamps on each side, or maybe wall mounted reading lamps above the bed... who knows. Good lord, I love IKEA.

From this:

To this!

I've already suffered blunt force trauma to my shin from this thing, proving that I cannot try to navigate in the dark anymore.

Desert Rat observations of the week: Fog is crazy. I like it a lot, actually. Probably because I don't have to drive in it... just my lovely bike commute to campus. So this is what my normal route looks like:

Add some fog...
I try to focus on the beauty of my surroundings rather than my aching legs and shortness of breath as I bike to school. But in all seriousness, it's so damn nice. I still think the desert is beautiful, but this sort of weather and environment is so new to me. I mean... seasons! Before, it was just hot and not hot. Here in Davis, the trees change colors and there are actual seasons. Shades of red that I have never seen before...

I just love it, I love this town and I love this weather. We'll see how I feel about it when it starts pouring.

aaaaaand... the Christmas tree is up! But not decorated yet. We also bought lights for the house, but I haven't been able to get Mark to put them up yet. I'm excited to have a comfy-cozy-holiday-decorated house. eeeeeeeeeee!!

I still need to write 2 papers this week. Then there's finals next week... so it should be a busy week.

Now... onto my delicious bed.

1 comment:

D said...

ikea is pretty much amazing. i like going into all the different pre-made room layouts and getting cool new ideas. plus, cheap, cheap, cheap! you can get lots of accessories and knick-nacks and change your mind often. its a decorating-lover's dream.