Monday, February 23, 2009

Writing everything down

I've been back and forth on whether or not I wanted to blog about my current weight adventures, mostly because in the past, it has been my goal to just lose weight and be done with it. Around this time last year, I was mildly successful; I lost like 15 pounds on a strict no carb diet. Soon thereafter, I lost my motivation, and then I started losing my hair. And then the weight came back... and to this day, the shower drain reveals that I'm still short a lot of hair!
Gone are the days where I can eat whatever I want and not worry about the health consequences. Add to that being tired of carrying around extra weight, memories of my father's heart related problems, and my current nutrition class, and I've got the perfect motivation to not just lose weight, but most importantly, to be healthy. You know, stick around here for a while.


A week ago, I began keeping track of everything that I eat. Everything. That, in itself, has been the best teacher of all... having the numbers right in front of me really helps me make better food choices. The sad truth is, almost anything that I don't personally prepare is either high in calories, fat or sodium. I cringe at the thought of the things that I ate before without even consulting the nutrition label, or paying attention to serving sizes!
I've been tracking my meals on livestrong.com (for freeeee!) and I've managed to convince Mark to do the same.
So here's the difference: I am not paying attention to my weight. Maybe in a month or so I'll report my weight loss, but for now, my priority is to get my cholesterol and triglycerides down.
I had blood drawn about 2 weeks ago, and I got my results back today. It's a wake up call, for sure. I'm not even into fried foods and I always avoid things that are blatantly terrible, and yet my was cholesterol was 227, and my triglycerides were 363... both on the high side. I'm posting these things here because it makes me more accountable to take control of these numbers and bring them down.
So in the ultimate disregard of my own privacy for the sake of motivation (ha!), you can view what I'm eating and how my little journey is coming along here: Food Diary

And that's the latest in the life of Michelle!
And now... what to eat?

1 comment:

D said...

ive been doing weight watchers by myself for a few months, and its totally great. most people exclaim "youre not fat!" but ive put on a good 30 lbs since high school, and though i agree im not "heavy" and some of that is breast increase, i know i dont work out anymore and i eat like shit.

it's been great just for me to see actual HEALTHY portion sizes (what do you mean, im not supposed to eat a whole box of mac and cheese by myself?) and finding that when i eat slow instead of shoveling as usual, im actually comfortably full instead of sick/stuffed feeling afterwards. also its helped to realize what things are actually good/bad for me and making better decisions. i still get to eat some junk, its just helping me moderate. i lost 5lbs the first month! :) you can go to any weight watchers meeting place and buy the starter kit for like 50 bucks.